- An Enugu north magistrate court has ordered that 32 detained pro-Biafra agitator be produced in court on July 26
- The order was made to the commissioner for justice and attorney general of Enugu state and the Nigeria Prisons Service
- The court made the order when the accused persons were not produced in court during trial on July 17
The commissioner for justice and attorney general of Enugu state and the Nigeria Prisons Service have been ordered by an Enugu north magistrate court to produce 32 detained pro-Biafra agitators.
The order was made on Tuesday, July 17, when the matter came up and the accused persons were again not in court, Punch reports.
NAIJ.com gathers that the accused persons, who were arrested on May 22, are members of the Ralph Uwazurike-led Biafra Independent Movement faction of the Movement for the Actualisation of the Sovereign State of Biafra.
They were apprehended while parading through Enugu metropolis to celebrate the ‘Biafra Day' and were charged with treason and arraigned before the magistrate court, where they pleaded not guilty.
They had since been remanded in Enugu prison and the trial had been stalled since then because the matter was adjourned on two occasions due to the inability of the police and officials of the prison to produce them in court.
The defence counsel, CO Obiekwe, expressed dissatisfaction over the development and accused the federal government of persecuting the agitators, adding that the prison authorities had no excuse for not producing the accused persons in court.
He said: “The prison authorities have no genuine reason, the other time they said they had no member of staff, this time no vehicle. By my checks, they brought 17 other accused persons to court today, so why did they not go back to bring the other 32 persons?”
Blaming the failure to produce the accused persons on 'logistic challenges', an official of the Enugu prison said: “We have over 102 inmates going to court today, some went to Obollo-Afor, Amagunze, and several other places. So, there is a shortage of vehicles."
A senior prison assistant, Ude Ambrose, said: “We prefer Fridays because we have fewer cases. Other days we used to have 40 to 60, but today, we have the highest number and most of our vehicles are engaged."
Sam Okoro, the presiding judge, ordered that the accused persons be produced in court on July 26, the next adjourned date.
Meanwhile, NAIJ.com previously reported that the Civil Liberties Organisation (CLO) blamed the southeast governors for not condemning agitation and anything that affect the people they govern.
According to CLO, pro-Biafra agitations in the southeast arose from the frustrations the people felt which were occasioned by their alienated leadership the governors provided.
Nnamdi Kanu granted bail - on NAIJ.com TV