- Lt Gen Tukur Buratai says there is no going back in operations to completely eliminate Boko Haram elements in the north-east
- He informed troops that they had no cause for alarm as the insurgents could be picked by hand
- Buratai also directed that the resilient troops be paid their 2018 uniform allowance
Chief of Army Staff, Lt Gen Tukur Buratai says there is no going back in operations to rid the north-east of remnants of terrorists, and charged troops to remain focused.
Addressing troops of 21 Brigade in Bama local government area of Borno on Thursday, July 19, Buratai assured them that remnants of the terrorists no longer pose any serious threat to them or the people, NAN reports.
NAIJ.com gathers that he said: “There are just only few elements of them that are still moving about to show that they are still relevant. But by and large, you can pick many of them by hand; there is no cause for alarm.
READ ALSO: Buhari mourns late ex IGP Coomassie
“There is no reason why they will be allowed to get into our locations or disrupt, dislocate or dislodge any of you from your locations.
“You must be firm in all your locations and maintain the aggressive posture, the momentum must always be maintained.’’
The Army chief commended the troops for showing resilience, determination and courage in the ongoing counter insurgency and counter terrorism operations, saying “you must maintain the momentum.’’
He designated the 21 Brigade as a “Special Brigade’’, due to performances of the troops, as well as their determination, ruggedness and patriotism and promised that their logistics and operational needs would be met.
To demonstrate his appreciation for the troops’ performance, Buratai directed the Army chief of account and budget to pay them their 2018 uniform allowance.
Meanwhile, NAIJ.com previously reported that Chief of Army Staff, Tukur Buratai met with Theatre Commander Nicholas Roger and other top commanders at the Control and Command Centre in Maiduguri, after the recent attacks in Bama in Borno and Jilli in Yobe.
Although the outcome of the meeting was not made public, a source said that the commanders briefed the Army chief on the various ongoing operations in the north-east.
Nigerian Air Force operations against Boko Haram on NAIJ.com TV: