- Fifteen senators dumped the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) for the opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP)
- The senators were led by Dino Melaye and Rabiu Kwankwaso of Kogi and Kano states
- A list of the defectors was received by the Senate president Bukola Saraki
There was a rowdy session at the National Assembly on Tuesday, July 24, as 15 senators dumped the ruling APC.
The senators, including Dino Melaye and Abdul-Azeez Nyako, announced their defection at the Senate plenary on Tuesday, July 24.
The list containing the senators' names was handed over to Bukola Saraki, the president of the Senate, who managed to get to the plenary after a reported blockade in the morning.
Below is a full list of the 15 enators who joined the PDP today:
1. Senator Lanre Tejouso
2. Senator Shaaba Lafiagi
3. Senator Gemade
4. Senator Dino Melaye
PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
5. Senator Soji Akanbi
6. Senator Rafiu
7. Senator Shittu Ubali
8. Senator Isa Misau
9. Senator Suleiman Hunkuyi
10. Senator Monsurat
11. Senator Abdullahi Danbaba
12. Senator Bayero Nafada
13. Senator Suleiman Nazif
14. Senator Rabiu Kwankwaso
15. Senator Abdul-Azeez Murtala Nyako
Meanwhile, NAIJ.com previously reported that officers of the Nigeria Police had blocked the Senate president from honouring an invitation by the Inspector General of Police.
The IGP had invited Saraki for further interrogation on his involvement in the killing of many residents of Offa in a recent robbery attack in the town.
Street Gist: Should the Nigerian Senate be scrapped? - on NAIJ.com TV