- Muhammadu Buhari inaugurates members of police service commission
- president swears in Festus Okoye as a NEC officer representing southeast
- He expresses his total commitment to the values of democracy
A former Inspector-General of Police (IGP), Musiliu Smith, has been sworn in by President Muhammadu as the new chairman of the Police Service Commission (PSC).
The president reportedly made the appointment on Wednesday, July 25, at the presidential villa, Abuja, shortly before the commencement of the weekly meeting of the Federal Executive Council (FEC), the Punch reports.
Musiliu Smith is taking over from Mike Okiro who is also a former IGP.
The president also appointed other members of the commission. The list of those sworn in as members of the commission include:
1. Clara Ogunbiyi from the north-east, representing the judicial community
2. AIG Lawal Bawa from north-west, representing the police community
3. Mohammed Najatu from the north-west, representing women on the commission
4. Braimoh Austin from the south-south, representing the media community
PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 new app
5. Rommy Mom (member) from north central, representing human rights
6. Nkemka Jombo-Ofo (member) from southeast.
Buhari also swore in Festus Okoye, as a National Electoral Commissioner (NEC) in the Independent Electoral Commission (INEC) representing southeast.
Meanwhile, President Muhammadu Buhari has expressed his total commitment to the values of democracy, freedom of choice as well as total willingness to work with all members of the National Assembly, irrespective of their political party, for the benefit of the nation.
The president’s statement is in response to the mass defection of some All Progressives Congress (APC) lawmakers to the opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) on Tuesday, July 24.
President Buhari in his reaction noted that none of the defecting federal lawmakers had any specific grievances against him or the government he leads; neither did he harbour anything against any of them.
EXCLUSIVE: Be patient with President Buhari, Femi Adesina tells Nigerians on NAIJ.com TV