- Manchester City World Cup stars cut short their holidays as they return to training
- The players includes De Bryune, Kompany, Sterling, Stones, Walker and Delph
- Pep Guardiola revealed the club will not make high profile spending this summer
Manchester City's squad comprising England and Belgium players are cutting short their post-World Cup holidays in a bid to be sharp enough for their title defence.
The players were allowed a 21-day break after their respective campaigns in Russia as they are expected back until next weekend's Community Shield final against Chelsea
The likes of Kevin De Bruyne, Vincent Kompany, Raheem Sterling, John Stones, Kyle Walker and Fabian Delph were all in Moscow until July 15.
However City's manager Pep Guardiola revealed that most are heading for the City Football Academy in the coming days.
"We have just a few days to prepare for the first final,' Guardiola said. 'Most of them are coming back. It's important - we want players for the final.
"It's the same for any manager, we prefer to be together but we have to adapt to the calendar. We have had one pre-season and now we need another pre-season before the start of the season."
France Benjamin Mendy and Portugal's Bernardo Silva have both already linked up with Guardiola in America, with the France World Cup winner joining in Miami on Thursday.
Guardiola also claimed City are unlikely to make big summer spending in the transfer market.
He said: "If we sign, we'll sign one more. But maybe not - the transfer window is so expensive."
Meanwhile, NAIJ.com had earlier reported that Manchester City lost 2-1 to Liverpool in their pre-season friendly in the United States.
Leroy Sane set the ball rolling but Mohamed Salah restored parity minutes later and Sadio Mane converted a late penalty to give the Reds victory.
Who is the better coach, Mourinho or Conte? - on NAIJ.com TV