2019: President Buhari tells supporters to stop campaigns for his re-election

2019: President Buhari tells supporters to stop campaigns for his re-election

- President Buhari said he appreciated his supporters' enthusiasm, but he did not want them to break the law

- He urged them to be patient and wait for INEC to officially lift the ban on political campaigns before starting

- The presidency however said doing documentaries showcasing the president's achievements at this moment is not outlawed

President Muhammadu Buhari has urged his supporters to stop campaigning for his re-election in the 2019 presidential elections.

The president noted that some zealous supporters have been engaging in what could be interpreted as campaigns even months before the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) is due to lift the embargo on such.

In a statement signed by his media aide Femi Adesina, Buhari pleaded with his supporters to be patient and not let them be seen as breaking the law.

READ ALSO: Amaechi speaks on 2019, predicts President Buhari's victory despite defections

"It has been observed that some fervent supporters of President Muhammadu Buhari have begun what may be interpreted as political campaigns in their advocacies and advertisements in the mass media.

"We appreciate their enthusiasm, borne out of desire to garner support for an administration that is actuated by nothing else, other than service for motherland, but we hereby appeal for patience, so that the game can be played according to the rules.

"The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has a timetable for political campaigns, and we urge committed supporters round the country (and beyond) to be mindful of such. There will be ample time ahead to trumpet the good works of the Buhari administration, and solicit re-election, all for the good of our country and her people.

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android and read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

"While a chronicle of the achievements of the administration is in order now, outright canvasing may amount to jumping the gun. We are an administration committed to due process and scrupulous respect for rules, law and order."

We appreciate our massive supporters nationwide, and urge them to exercise restraint till the race commences officially as stipulated by law."

This development comes just NAIJ.com reported that former military head of state Ibrahim Badamosi Babangida (IBB) denied ganging up against President Buhari's 2019 re-election bid alongside fellow retired generals former President Olusegun Obasanjo and Theophilus Danjuma.

Babangida said this on Tuesday, July 24 in a recent interview he granted an online platform called The Crest at his Hilltop Mansion in Minna, the Niger State capital.

The newspaper reports that IBB wondered where the idea of a gang up came when asked if he was working against President Buhari with other generals as had been widely reported in the media.

Buhari to Contest for Presidency in 2019! - on NAIJ.com TV

Subscribe to watch new videos

Source: Naija.ng

Related news
APC factional chairman in Akwa Ibom joins PDP days after Akpabio’s defection

APC factional chairman in Akwa Ibom joins PDP days after Akpabio’s defection

APC factional chairman in Akwa Ibom joins PDP days after Akpabio’s defection
NAIJ.com
Mailfire view pixel