- According to the promise of the federal government, more Nigerians who travelled to Russia for the 2018 FIFA World Cup will be returned to Nigeria soon
- The assurance was given on Sunday, July 29, by the first secretary of the Nigerian embassy in Russia, Desmond Nwosu
- Nwosu urged the stranded fans to report at the embassy for registration on Monday, July 30, while the mission awaits flight information
The federal government has said that it would soon commence the last evacuation of Nigerian football fans stranded in Russia after 2018 World Cup tournament.
The embassy of Nigeria in Moscow, Russia, said this in a statement made available to journalists by its first secretary, Desmond Nwosu, on Sunday, July 29, in Abuja. Nwosu urged the stranded fans to report at the embassy for registration on Monday, July 30, while the mission awaits flight information, the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports.
“In line with President Muhammadu Buhari’s directive to bring all stranded Nigerian fans who visited Russia for the 2018 FIFA World Cup back home, the government of Nigeria will carry out the last evacuation soon.
“Consequently, the Embassy of Nigeria in Moscow is requesting all Nigerians with fan ID and Nigerian passport to report to the embassy on Monday July 30, for registration,” he said.
NAN reported that the ministry of foreign affairs had said that 75 out of 230 stranded Nigerian football fans absconded in Russia after the 2018 FIFA World Cup.
The ministry’s spokesperson, Tope Fatile, said the fans absconded in spite of government’s efforts to repatriate them. Fatile said that 230 stranded Nigerian football fans were profiled to board Ethiopian Airline to Abuja but at the last minute, only 155 boarded the flight that arrived Abuja on Sunday, July 22.
He said that though they had the rights not to come back but it would be better for them to return because of the unfavorable weather in that country. He said that if, however, they repented and decided to come back, the ministry was ever ready to assist them.
Fatile said that the federal government was ever willing to assist Nigerians at anytime, anywhere in the world.
Meanwhile, NAIJ.com reported that 152 Nigerians had been airlifted from Russia as part of the federal government's effort to evacuate Nigerians stranded in Russia after the World Cup.
The ministry of foreign affairs had said that Nigerians stranded in Moscow, Russia at the end of the 2018 World Cup Tournament would be evacuated on Friday, July 20.
The ministry’s spokesperson, Tope Elias-Fatile, in a statement on Thursday in Abuja said, over 230 stranded Nigerians had been cleared to board an Ethiopian Airline flight to Abuja.
FIFA World Cup 2018: Who Robbed Kanu? | NAIJ.com TV