- A Niger Delta group has accused the Department of State Services of arresting and detaining several youths from the Niger Delta region
- The Ijaw Youth Council, who accused the security agency, demands the release of the detainees
- The group says they should be charged to court if the government has any case against them
The Department of State Services (DSS) has been accused by a youth group in the Niger Delta region identified as the Ijaw Youth Council (IYC), of arbitrary arrest and detention of several youths from the area.
This was stated by the group on Sunday, July 29, following the arraignment of a journalist from the area who had been held for more than two years by the DSS
Premium Times reports that the 50-year-old journalist, Jones Abiri, accused of militancy, was kept incommunicado in a secret detention by the DSS since 2016.
NAIJ.com gathers that the detention had been condemned by rights activists and journalism groups.
A factional leader of the group, Eric Omare, said in a statement: “The IYC wishes to alert the world that apart from Mr Jones Abiri, there are several other Niger Delta youths who were arrested in connection with the Niger Delta Avengers inspired hostilities in the Niger Delta region and who are in the detention of the DSS without charging them to court.
“At the time of issuing this statement, Niger Delta youths such as Alex Odogu (spokesman, IYC, Abuja chapter), Census Oluba, Germachy Oboko, John Fortune, Michael John, Gabriel Ogbu, Justice Golubus, Joshua Golubus, Felix Mieminye and several others are still in detention.
“In some of the cases like that of Census Oluba, courts of competent jurisdictions both in Delta state and Abuja have ordered for his release but the DSS refused to obey the orders of court."
The spokesman said that the exact number of the youths in DSS detention could not be ascertained by him. He said: “From the account of one of the boys released about two months ago, there are several others who are still in detention."
The group is demanding that the detained youths be released immediately or charged to court if the Nigerian government has any case against them.
Meanwhile, NAIJ.com previously reported that the Ijaw Youth Council warned President Muhammadu Buhari not to take former president Goodluck Jonathan's 'gentility' for granted.
The council also condemned the subpeona by the Federal High Court sitting in Abuja on the former president.
Jonathan replies to Buhari's allegations | on NAIJ.com TV