David Luiz prefers to remain at Stamford Bridge despite exits speculations

David Luiz prefers to remain at Stamford Bridge despite exits speculations

- Blues centre-back David Luiz is set to fight for his place at Stamford Bridge in the coming campaign

- The Brazilian ace was only considered for two Chelsea games in the Premier League after a row with ex-boss Antonio Conte

- Luiz now prefers to play with new manager Sarri despite repeatedly linked with a move away

Chelsea defence ace David Liuz is eager to remain at Stamford Bridge and battle it out for a spot in Maurizio Sarri’s squad ahead of the new campaign.

According to Daily Star report, the centre-back did not figure regularly in the side last term after falling out with former Chelsea boss Antonio Conte.

The Brazilian was only considered for two games in the Premier League following a misunderstanding with Conte following Blues’ 3-0 Champions League loss to Roma in October, and also suffered a thigh injury.

READ ALSO: Chelsea forward Alvaro Morata welcomes twin-boys with wife Alice Campello

Luiz is reportedly linked with a move away from Stamford Bridge to the trio of Napoli, AC Milan and Juventus but could likely be one of the squad members in the new squad under Sarri.

Chelsea are still continuing talks as at Sunday night over a potential £45 million for Juventus centre-back Daniele Rugani which signifies Luiz’s place in the squad is still in danger.

However, the former PSG defender has taken part in all pre-season fixtures under the new boss in a reformed back four and, after a penalty shoot-out victory over Inter Milan here in Nice, Luiz stressed he does not want to leave.

“I came back to Chelsea to stay here,” the 31-year-old Luiz was quoted as saying after rejoining the west London side in his second spell two years ago.

“When I took my decision to come back here from Paris it was to win the Premier League and do something again with Chelsea. I am very happy here,” he insisited, even as he was quick to add that is now enjoying life at the Blues under the ex-Napoli coach

“I had a lot of time to take care of me last year, so now I’m 100 percent,” said Luiz.

I love this philosophy. We play high, with a lot of possession of the ball, in a technical way. The coach is trying to help us every single day to learn quickly his philosophy.

“He does not want me to change as a player. It is the same style – play from the back, build from the back, try to help the guys, try to be in line.

“People know me – I like to be happy, to enjoy my life. We have the best job in the world.

“The coach comes as a human being. If you’re not happy doing your job it doesn’t matter if you’re a footballer or not. We have to be happy to do our best.

“He is playing a different system. It is his decision. He has many players who can play with four in the back, three in the back, five in the back, so he is the one to decide.

“We are training really hard every single day, double sessions, to learn quickly.”

However, he took out time to urge his teammates on the need to adjust to Sarri’s high energy, fast passing and pressing style of football, stressing: “A new philosophy always takes time. But it also depends on us.

“If we are dedicated every day and doing things every single day in training, especially at the beginning we are trying to learn quickly.”

Speaking further, Luiz waved off any fears following the possible deals for Rugani or Mattia Caldara, his Juventus club mate, who is reportedly also being considered by Chelsea eggheads.

It is a challenge for everybody. It is good to have fantastic players, more than just 11. We have many players that can play in the starting 11, so it is a positive challenge for everybody,” Luiz said.

The Blues claimed their second pre-season victory in Nice on Saturday.

After a 1-1 draw with Inter at the Allianze Riviera at full time, the encounter was decided via penalty shoot-out 5-4, with Cesar Azpilicueta hitting the winning spot kick to emerge tops on the night.

PAY ATTENTION: Become a member of the leading sports Facebook group 'Naija Football Fan Zone

On the other hand, Pedro with his second goal in pre-season, gave Chelsea the lead after some skillful work by Alvaro Morata, whose future is also in major doubt, but Sarri’s rejigged defence looked shaky at times as Roberto Gagliardi scored for Inter.

The encounter also saw 17-year-old Callum Hudson-Odoi in top form again for the West London dwellers.

Meanwhile, NAIJ.com previously had reported that Chelsea beat Inter Milan 5-4 on penalties in their International Champions Cup pre-season tourney after playing 1-1 in the normal regulation period on Saturday evening at the Allianz Riviera.

Pedro Rodriguez put the Blues in front just eight minutes into the match after powering home a rebound from an Alvaro Morata's shot which was saved by Inter's goalkeeper.

The goal gave the Premier League side some advantage as they won a free kick at a vantage point in the 12th minute but Marcos Alonso failed to convert the chance that was handed to him.

Football Transfers That Shocked The World | Naij.com TV

Subscribe to watch new videos

Source: Naija.ng

Related news
After 10 years of marriage, Former Super Eagles goalkeeper Peterside Idah welcomes baby (photo)

After 10 years of marriage, Former Super Eagles goalkeeper Peterside Idah welcomes baby (photo)

After 10 years of marriage, Former Super Eagles goalkeeper Peterside Idah welcomes baby (photo)
NAIJ.com
Mailfire view pixel