We can’t ask states to employ you - FG tells N-Power beneficiaries

We can’t ask states to employ you - FG tells N-Power beneficiaries

- The federal government says it cannot compel states to absorb N-Power beneficiaries at the end of the programme

- It pointed out that it has already paid the beneficiaries N30,000 monthly over two years, and given them technical expertise

- The beneficiaries were advised to take ownership of their lives and do things for themselves

The federal government has announced that it will not compel state governments to absorb the 136,000 youths currently employed as teaching assistants under its N-power programme at the expiration of the first phase in December.

The disclosure was made by President Muhammadu Buhari’s special adviser on social investments, Hajiya Maryam Uwais, at a colloquium organised by the Department of Public Law, University of Lagos, Vanguard reports.

READ ALSO: 2019: 4 PDP governors are secretly working for APC - Jibrin

NAIJ.com gathers that Uwais made the comment in response to speculations by N-Power beneficiaries that they would be absorbed into the various state teaching services in which they currently work.

She said: “They have worked for two years and have been paid N30,000 monthly and have a device that gives them information on entrepreneurship.

“We cannot ask a state to employ anybody. We have given them N30,000 monthly, the know-how, and practical experience. For example, if you have been working in the farm, you know all there is to know about agriculture by now and should be able to start something.

“We have many of them who are now forming co-operatives, buying farmlands, growing foods and setting up small businesses.

“It is about taking ownership of their lives; the idea is for you to be able to do things for yourselves. I will like them to look inwards and see what they can do for themselves at the expiration of the programme."

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Meanwhile NAIJ.com previously reported that the Buhari administration announced that 300,000 beneficiaries from the second batch of the N-Power Volunteers Corps would be deployed and engaged on August 1, 2018.

The announcement was made by the senior special assistant of Vice President Yemi Osinbajo, Lalolu Akande, on Thursday, July 19.

According to him, with this newest addition of 300,000 beneficiaries, the programme will have provided opportunities for half a million Nigerian graduates by August, 2018.

I have never had to look for a job in my life | Faces of Nigeria - on NAIJ.com TV:

Subscribe to watch new videos

Source: Naija.ng

Related news
2019: Kwankwaso suggests zone that should produce PDP presidential candidate

2019: Kwankwaso suggests zone that should produce PDP presidential candidate

2019: Kwankwaso suggests zone that should produce PDP presidential candidate
NAIJ.com
Mailfire view pixel