Ekiti Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) guber candidate, Prof Kolapo Olusola is challenging the electoral victory of the All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate, Dr. Kayode Fayemi, as declared by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).
NAIJ.com gathered that the PDP governorship candidate who was at the election petition tribunal in Ado Ekiti to file his petition said: "Those who stole our mandate won't enjoy the benefits for long"
Olusola in a statement posted on Facebook also added that he is challenging the election results not out of desperation to be governor, but for reasons of future and posterity, and largely on behalf of the people of Ekiti, who were taken aback by the outcome of the election.
Read his statement below:
"Today, I formally filed the much expected petition against the results of the July 14, 2018 governorship election, which was openly manipulated by political desperadoes, using instruments of the federal government.
Like I have maintained, I am challenging the election results not out of desperation to be governor, but for reasons of future and posterity, and largely on behalf of the people of Ekiti, who were taken aback by the outcome of the election.
Without doubt, the will of the people was subverted by those who have chosen to take Nigeria back to the dark days of ballot stuffing, ballot boxes snatching and outright falsification of election results and I believe they deserve to get justice.
As law abiding citizens of our country, the only path of honour to take in a situation like this is the process that we have initiated today, to seek redress against the use of security forces and other instruments of the federal government to suppress the will of our people.
Sadly, the desperation of the APC to take over all States in the country, especially those under governors like Dr. Ayodele Fayose perceived as uncompromising has destroyed all the gains made by the PDP government regarding free, fair and credible elections.
The mood of Ekiti people when the beneficiary of the electoral robbery was declared winner and up till today is a pointer to the resolve of the people not to accept the subversion of their will and we have answered their calls to use the judiciary to get back their mandate.
In doing this, we have presented overwhelming discrepancies in the results declared by INEC to the tribunal to adjudicate upon and I am confident that the popular mandate of the people of Ekiti will not go unrestored.
I therefore want Ekiti people to keep hope alive, remain strong and resolute in their belief in God.
While we go through this judicial walk to exposing the electoral thievery of July 14, 2018, we urge the good people of Ekiti State, especially my teeming supporters to remain calm, peaceful and prayerful, bearing in mind that those who stole their mandate will not enjoy the benefits for long.
I also want to use this opportunity to condemn the indefinite closure of the State Radio and Television stations. No doubt, the closure of the radio and television stations was part of the grand plan to sustain the inglorious use of naked force to rob Ekiti people of their democratic rights, but the people will triumph ultimately."
PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 new app
NAIJ.com previously reported that the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) said the governorship election conducted in Ekiti state was free, fair and transparent.
The electoral body gave the verdict on Wednesday, July 18, in a communique issued at the end of meeting between its chairman, Professor Mahmoud Yakubu and Resident Electoral Commissioners (RECs) across the country.
The main opposition party, the Peoples Democratic Party, (PDP) whose candidate, Olusola Kolapo, lost the election to the All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate and governor-elect, Kayode Fayemi, has vowed to challenge the results in court.
Did Ekiti residents take money to vote? | - on NAIJ.com TV