- The federal govt has insisted that it did not pay any ransom to secure the release of the kidnapped Dapchi schoolgirls
- The UN had published a report alleging that ransom was paid for the release of the girls
- The govt says without conclusive evidence to support such claim, it is merely conjecture
The federal government on Thursday, August 16, insisted that it did not pay any ransom to secure the release of the Dapchi girls.
In a statement issued in Ilorin, the minister of information and culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, challenged anyone who has any evidence of payment to publish such, NAN reports.
NAIJ.com gathers that the minister was responding to a news item in the media which quoted a report submitted to the UN Security Council alleging that ransom was paid for the release of the girls.
“In Nigeria, 111 schoolgirls from the town of Dapchi were kidnapped on 18 February 2018 and released by ISWAP on 21 March 2018 in exchange for a large ransom payment,” the report stated.
Mohammed insisted that the report remained a speculation until evidence of payment of the purported ransom was made available.
“It is not enough to say that Nigeria paid a ransom, little or huge. There must be a conclusive evidence to support such claim.
“Without that, the claim remains what it is: a mere conjecture,” the minister said.
Recall that NAIJ.com previously reported that the United Nations published a report stating that the Nigerian federal government paid a huge ransom to Boko Haram for the release of the abducted Dapchi schoolgirls.
The report contradicted claims by the government that it did not pay any ransom for the release of the girls, because the hostages were released in exchange for detained Boko Haram commanders.
Exclusive: Freed Dapchi girl recounts her ordeal with Boko Haram (Nigeria Breaking News) - on NAIJ.com TV: