- There was a showdown at the Esan central local government area of Edo state when some youths reportedly attacked the convoy of Governor Godwin Obaseki
- The mob accused the governor of discriminating against the district in the state's political affairs
- Confirming the development, the state chairman of the APC, Anselm Ojezua, however, reported that Obaseki left the scene unhurt
A set of angry youths on Tuesday, August 21, allegedly attacked the convoy of Governor Godwin Obaseki of Edo in the Esan central local government area of the state.
Punch reported that the incident took place in Irrua where Obaseki had gone to hold talks with leaders of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the Edo central senatorial district over issues bordering on the party's forthcoming primaries for the 2019 general polls.
There had been claims that Obaseki was advocating the adoption of a consensus arrangement for the primaries contrary to the direct primaries preferred by some party members in the area to nominate the flag bearers.
The youths stormed the venue of the meeting, accusing the governor of discriminating against the district in the state's political affairs.
Before the intervention of security operatives, the mob, in an attire with the inscription of an Esan youth organisation, had hurled sachets of water at the governor's convoy.
However, a source at the Edo state Government House on Tuesday, August 21, informed newsmen that the governor left the scene unhurt. “The governor is hale and hearty,” the source.
Confirming the development, the state chairman of the APC, Anselm Ojezua, said that the youths had no connection with the APC, adding that the incident was under investigation.
Ojezua said: “We are investigating the incident. I really do not know the motive behind it but I can only tell you that those who did it are not APC youths.
“They wore the paraphernalia of the Esan Youth Movement. They invaded the arena to do what they did; I think it was more of personal agenda than political agenda.”
Dismissing reports that Obaseki and the ruling party's national chairman, Adams Oshiomhole, had disagreed over what method will be adopted for the primaries, Ojezua said the APC's candidates would only emerge through direct primaries, if the option of a consensus failed.
He state: “There is no truth at all (in the disagreement) because either process is recognised by our constitution. We, in Edo State, have always had our preference for a consensus (arrangement). We will only go for direct primaries, if we fail to achieve a consensus.”
Meanwhile, NAIJ.com reported that an aid to Obaseki, in Esan West local government area of Edo, Maris Igbons, had been reportedly attacked by suspected thugs.
Igbons, a mother of four, told journalists from her hospital bed in Benin that the attack occurred on Monday, June 18, when she was in her shop. She accused the chairman of the council, Patrick Aguinede, of sponsoring thugs to beat her up.
The Next President of Nigeria. Who Will Win the 2019 Elections? | NAIJ.com TV