Soldiers reportedly torture 18-year-old to death over stolen phone in Plateau (photo)

Soldiers reportedly torture 18-year-old to death over stolen phone in Plateau (photo)

- Some soldiers allegedly tortured a young boy to death in Plateau state

- The deceased was reported to the soldiers by a friend of his over a stolen phone

- The young boy reportedly died from internal injuries he sustained in the hands of the soldiers

An 18-year-old secondary school-leaver, Amadu Atajan, was allegedly tortured to death by some soldiers attached to the Special Task Force, Sector 7, Sha District, in the Bokkos local government area of Plateau state.

According to The Punch, Atajan, who gave up the ghost on Wednesday, August 22, reportedly died from internal injuries he sustained in the hands of the soldiers.

NAIJ.com gathered that the victim was assaulted on the account of his friend who reported a case of a stolen phone to the men sometime last week.

Soldiers reportedly torture 18-year-old to death over stolen phone in Plateau (photo)

An 18-year-old secondary school-leaver, Amadu Atajan, was allegedly tortured to death by some soldiers. Credit: Facebook/Yahaya John T Akans

READ ALSO: Breaking: Following Osinbajo's directive, police announce massive overhaul of SARS unit

It was learnt that Atajan had attended the friend’s secondary school graduation in July during which he collected his Android phone to take pictures.

While the fun went on, another friend of the host was said to have collected the phone from Atajan under false pretences of using it to take pictures.

The friend allegedly left the event surreptitiously with the phone while efforts to locate him proved abortive.

Atajan reportedly pleaded with his friend to give him time so he could raise funds to buy another phone.

A native of the community, John Akans, who spoke to The Punch on the telephone on Thursday, August 23, said Atajan’s friend agreed to the plea, but made a U-turn last week and reported the case to the soldiers.

He stated that the soldiers took the 18-year-old to their base and beat him up until he went into a coma.

Akans, who posted the picture of the victim on Facebook while he was on a stretcher, said he was rushed to the general hospital in the neighbourhood.

His words: “About one month ago, his (Atajan’s) close friend invited him to his secondary school graduation. The friend gave him an Android phone which they used to take pictures. Somebody came and begged him to give him the phone so he could use it to snap. He innocently gave him the phone, but the boy disappeared with the phone. They looked for him within the school premises but could not locate him.

“The victim begged his friend that he gave the phone to the boy innocently. He begged the friend that his father would deal with him if he knew about the phone. He asked the friend to give him time to pay for the phone. They agreed on that arrangement.

“All of a sudden last week, the friend reported him to some soldiers at Sector 7 of the Special Task Force, who invited him. He told them that he never knew the boy would flee with the phone and that he had pleaded with his friend to give him time.”

Akans said that Atajan’s explanation fell on deaf ears as the soldiers reportedly tied him up and beat him with iron rods.

“Before he died, he narrated how he was tortured. He said, the soldiers hanged him upside down and tied his hands to his back. They beat him with iron rods and sticks.

“He collapsed and was rushed to Bokkos General Hospital. He was revived at the hospital but after three days, his condition worsened. It was discovered that he had internal bleeding as a result of the torture. Unfortunately, he passed on on Wednesday. He was 18-year-old; he just finished secondary school.

“This matter must be treated seriously and urgently. Nigerians must not be killed by security agents who are supposed to protect them,” Akans, who is based in Jos, the state capital, added.

The newspaper reports that it was unable to reach the deceased’s parents, who live in the remote community, on the telephone for comments as of press time.

When contacted on the incident, the director of Army Public Relations, Brig. Gen. Texas Chukwu, reportedly said he was on an official assignment in Borno state and directed enquiries to the acting Director, Defence Information, Brig. Gen. John Agim, who is reportedly yet to respond to the issue.

PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 new app

Few months earlier, NAIJ.com reported that an ex-soldier, Victor Ochoma, was allegedly tortured to death by some military operatives attached to a construction company in the Ahoada East local government area of Rivers state.

The deceased had reportedly quit the Army in 2014 after joining a special squad to fight the Boko Haram insurgency.

Soldier shares battleground experience, dedicates song to colleagues - On NAIJ.com TV

Subscribe to watch new videos

Source: Naija.ng

Related news
Breaking: Tinubu refuses to endorse Ambode as Governor’s Council insists on direct primaries

Ambode's troubles continue as Tinubu, other APC leaders refuse to endorse him

Breaking: Tinubu refuses to endorse Ambode as Governor’s Council insists on direct primaries
NAIJ.com
Mailfire view pixel