- Bukola Saraki had denounced the cancellation of the use of the Eagle Square by Kwankwaso
- The Senate president said it should be noted that the Eagle Square was built with public funds
- He said the supposed venue for the presidential declaration of Kwankwaso belongs to all Nigerians
Nigeria's Senate president, Bukola Saraki, has condemned the ban on Kwankwaso's use of the Eagle Square for his presidential declaration.
Saraki said the last minute cancellation by the federal government on the facility sent a wrong message about the tolerance level in our politics.
In a statement signed by his special adviser on media and publicity, Yusuph Olaniyonu, in Abuja on Wednesday, August 29, Saraki said the refusal to allow Kwankwaso use the venue sends a wrong message about Nigeria's democracy.
He said: “The refusal to allow Senator Kwankwaso to utilise the Eagle Square for his presidential declaration, despite an earlier approval, sends a wrong message about our democracy, particularly the tolerance level in our politics.
“That square belongs to all Nigerians because it was built with public funds. We hope this is not what we will be seeing as we approach the 2019 General Elections."
Meanwhile, NAIJ.com previously reported that the Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) had denied the former governor of Kano state access to use the Eagle Square and the International Conference Centre after it had been booked for the occasion.
The FCTA had claimed that it took the action because Wednesday, August 29, was work day and that the event would impede movements of workers.
Kwankwaso however, declared his intention to run for presidency in 2019 on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
The former governor made this declaration in Abuja on Wednesday, August 29, at the Chida Hotel in Jabi area of Abuja.
PDP's Magnificent 7 For 2019 Election on NAIJ.com TV