- INEC has revealed the total number of voters who would elect next Osun state governor
- The electoral body said that although about 1.7 million voters registered, 1.2 million have collected their PVCs
- Segun Agbaje, the state REC, said that majority of the non-sensitive materials that would be used for the conduct of the election had been received from Abuja
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has said that about 1.7 million registered voters would elect the next governor of Osun state on Saturday, September 22.
New Telegraph reports that out of the total number of the registered voters, 1.2 persons, which is about 69.40 per cent, have collected their Permanent Voters’ Card (PVC), leaving an outstanding of 510, 566, about 30.60 per cent yet to collect their PVCs.
NAIJ.com gathered that the INEC said soft copies of the registered voters had been presented to the participating political parties. The election would be conducted in 31 local government areas of the state.
INEC Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC) in the state, Segun Agbaje, said majority of the non-sensitive materials that would be used for the conduct of the election had been received from INEC headquarters, Abuja, and distributed to INEC offices across the state.
He said: “Furthermore, a total of 1,152,751 PVCs have been collected by their owners out of 1,668,524 received in the state, leaving a balance of 515,773 as at August 17.
“It is important for you to help us to inform the people on the need to collect their PVCs during your campaigns and rallies because without PVC, nobody would be allowed to vote.”
Meanwhile, NAIJ.com had previously reported that the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) governorship aspirant in Osun state, Senator Ademola Adeleke, accused the ruling All Progressives Congres (APC) and the federal government of plot to rig election in Osun.
Adeleke, in a statement by his director of media and publicity, Olawale Rasheed, said both the APC and the federal government have taken several steps to plot the election rigging.
PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
In the statement, which listed the alleged 'plots' and steps taken to ensure the rigging, Adeleke accused the APC of buying Permanent Voters' Card (PVC) for N10,000 from voters.
Governor Rauf Aregbesola Interview: 'State of Osun' is correct (Exclusive ) | - on NAIJ.com TV