- Suspected thugs have attacked a House of Representatives aspirant in Ondo, Olatayo Aribo
- The hoodlums were said to have set one of his campaign vehicles ablaze in Owo area of the state
- Aribo, however, said he had reported that incident to the police authority
The House of Representatives aspirant for Owo/Ose federal constituency in Ondo state, Olayato Aribo, has been reportedly attacked by suspected political thugs.
NAIJ.com regional reporter in Ondo, Oluwaseun Akingboye, reports that the incident happened in Owo, the headquarters of Owo local government area of the state where the state governor, Oluwarotimi Akeredolu, hails from on Wednesday night, September 26, when one of Aribo's campaign vehicles was attacked by the hoodlums.
Reliable sources disclosed that the aspirant, Aribo, was not in the vehicle, but two of his supporters who were in the campaign vehicle were waylaid around post office around 10:00pm.
It was gathered that the victims, Lanre Kako and the other identified as Tope, were going home and stopped to buy 'Suya' meat from a Mallam when the hoodlums pounced on them.
Eyewitnesses recounted that the assailants fired gunshots at the campaign vehicle and later set it on fire, saying that, "the two men were driving one campaign vehicle and they stopped to buy 'Suya' around the post office in Owo.
"But some guys came and shot at the vehicle. They had to run away but their attackers set the vehicle on fire. Those around put off the fire but these boys reinforced and came back to set the vehicle on fire again."
Addressing journalists in Akure, Aribo, however, mentioned that he did not suspect anybody but revealed that the incident had been reported to the police.
"We've reported to the police. Police were invited and they witnessed the burning of the bus. It is now left for the police to investigate and take action. For now, we don't suspect anybody.
"We will forward a petition to the state commissioner of police and the state governor. I am sure the governor will not be happy about this. And I am sure he also will investigate and find the cause of the attack."
He implored the people to embrace sportsmanship spirit in politics, urging security agencies to spring into action by fishing out the assailants and prosecute them so as to serve as deterrents to others.
"The first thing I did was to call my supporters and those boys that were there that they should keep calm. If the attack came from my political opponents, my advice is that this is not the way to do it. They should go out and campaign in order to win."
PAY ATTENTION: Download our mobile app to enjoy the best news updates
Meanwhile, NAIJ.com had previously reported that the crisis rocking the Ondo state chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC) took another twist as Ali Olanusi, a member of the Board of Trustees (BoT) of the party rejected the final decision to adopt indirect primaries for the selection of candidates for elective posts ahead of 2019 elections.
Nigeria Election 2019: What are Bukola Saraki’s chances against President Buhari? | - on NAIJ.com TV