If you would like to know about some Nigerian lunch ideas, this is the perfect article for you. For all those struggling to figure out what to eat for lunch at work, we have collected some easy recipes you can make yourself that are going to be way healthier than just eating whatever you can find in your office vending machine. So strap in and prepare the best meals you could ever dream of!
Nigerian lunch recipes
There are lots of lunch ideas in Nigeria, it only depends on the kind of food you like to eat at work, how much time you have to prepare your meals and how creative you can be with food.
We have been able to find some top lunch ideas that will not leave you hungry with hours to spare at your desk. Here are some of the best lunch meals you can try:
Pan Fried Fish with Vegetables and Yam Cubes
For this first recipe, you are going to need:
- 2 cups of yam cubes;
- 2 handfuls of vegetables of your choice, chopped;
- 1/4 of an onion, chopped;
- A tilapia filet (or any other similar fish);
- 2 tbsp. of butter, melted;
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced;
- 1 tbsp. of parsley, chopped;
- 1 tsp. of black pepper;
- 2 flavour cubes;
- 1 tbsp. of olive oil.
- Boil the yam cubes until they are cooked and set them aside.
- Heat up the olive oil and butter in a pan and stir fry the onion and garlic.
- Season your fish and put it in the pan, lower the heat and fry the filet on both sides until it gets golden brown.
- When the fish is cooked, take it out of the pan, increase the heat and stir fry the vegetables, yam cubes, flavour cubes and black pepper. Cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the parsley and cook for one more minute, and then take the whole thing off the stove.
- Put all of the ingredients in a lunch box/container, let it cool and refrigerate until you go to work.
Macaroni and Shrimp Sauce
READ ALSO: Nigerian breakfast ideas for adults
This is what you are going to need for this lunch food:
- 2 cups of macaroni;
- 1 cup of jumbo shrimps, dressed;
- 1 1/2 cup of pepper and tomato mix;
- 1/2 of an onion, chopped;
- 2 garlic cloves, minced;
- 1 tsp. of curry powder;
- A handful of parsley, chopped;
- A pinch of thyme;
- Flavour cubes to taste;
- 2 tbsp. of olive oil.
- Cook the macaroni in a pot of boiling water until they are soft, then drain them and set aside.
- Heat up the oil in a pan and fry the garlic and onions.
- Add the pepper and tomato mix, season with flavour cubes, thyme and curry powder, and fry on medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add the jumbo shrimps and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the parsley and cook for an additional minute.
- Serve the macaroni with the sauce you have cooked.
READ ALSO: Types of snacks in Nigeria
For this sandwich, you are going to be using:
- 1 can of sardine/tuna;
- 1 tomato, sliced;
- A handful of carrots, grated;
- A handful of onions, sliced;
- A handful of cabbage, sliced;
- 2 tbsp. of mayonnaise;
- 1 tsp. of honey;
- 1 tsp. of chili powder;
- 1 tsp. of ketchup;
- 1 tsp. of butter;
- A pinch of chicken seasoning, crushed;
- 2-4 slices of bread (depending on how many sandwiches you want).
- Butter your bread on both sides and fry it in a pan until brown, turning it over every once in a while.
- Mix the fish with oil, carrots, onions, cabbage, ketchup, honey, chili powder, mayonnaise and chicken seasoning.
- Put the fish mix on your bread and top it off with slices of tomato. Cover with the other piece of bread on top. You can leave it as is or cut it into triangles to make it easier to eat.
Chicken and Raisin Fried Rice
READ ALSO: Fried rice recipe with egg and vegetables
Here is what you will need in order to make the best food for lunch:
- 1 cup of rice, cooked;
- 1/2 cup of chicken filet, chopped;
- 2 tbsp. of raisins;
- A handful of carrots, chopped;
- A handful of cabbage, chopped;
- A handful of spring onions, chopped;
- 1 tbsp. of sesame oil;
- 1 tbsp. of butter;
- 1 tbsp. of soy sauce;
- 1/2 tsp. of ginger, grated;
- 2 garlic cloves;
- 1 tsp. of black pepper;
- Flavour cubes to taste.
- Heat up the sesame oil and butter in a pan and stir fry the onions and garlic in it for about a minute.
- Season the chicken filet and put it in the pan. Fry until golden brown on high heat, then reduce the heat and let it cook for additional 3-5 minutes.
- Increase the heat again, add the vegetables, ginger and black pepper.
- Add the rice in slowly and stir until it is well incorporated.
- Add the raisins and soy sauce and stir-fry your dish for about 2 minutes on high heat.
- Take the pan off the heat and unload your rice into a container to take to work tomorrow. Do not forget to heat it up before eating.
And there you have it, four delicious and, most importantly, healthy lunch meals that you can cook in no time and eat at work without making a mess. Your co-workers will be insanely jealous!
READ ALSO: Nigerian weight loss meal plan