There was a fire outbreak in the hotel housing about 200 Gombe pilgrims in Makkah on Wednesday, Daily Trust can report.
It was gathered that the fire broke out on the ninth floor of the 12-storey hotel building, which is located a few metres away from the holy mosque.
It was further gathered that the fire was extinguished shortly after it started. All the occupants of the hotel escaped unhurt.
Confirming the incident, the Gombe State Amirul Hajj, Grand Khadi Baba Liman, said the fire was caused by the misuse of a gas cooker by a female pilgrim in the hotel, adding that a committee has been set up to investigate the matter.
“All the pilgrims are hale and hearty. Nobody was hurt,’’ he added.
Early this week, the Saudi Arabis Civil Defence unit said there was a fire outbreak in a hotel, and that it successfully rescued 179 pilgrims. The officials further stated that 13 pilgrims sustained minor injuries and were treated. Lieutenant Colonel Abdullah Al-Orabi Al-Harthi, spokesman of the Civil Defence Authority, said they were able to limit the damage to one room.