The Special Task Force (STF) in Jos, Plateau State, has disclosed that three of the 21 suspects arrested in connection with the July 7, 2012 attacks in Barkin Ladi and Riyom that led to the death of Senator Gyang Dantong and Hon. Gyang Fulani and 65 others are currently facing trial at the High Court in Barkin Ladi.
Spokesman of the task force Captain Salisu Mustapha also said that the 21 persons were arrested with the help of new strategies introduced to enhance the operational capabilities of STF troops with a view to enhancing security in Riyom and Barkin Ladi.
He said, “The other suspects were nabbed by STF in open arrest while investigation to ascertain their level of involvement is still ongoing”.
According to him, three of the suspects have been handed over to the state police command, while one person is in the custody of the Director Security Service, with 16 in the custody of STF.
Mustapha added that security in the area had been enhanced with additional base at Gashis to serve as a buffer zone.
He said that the STF had also launched emergency telephone numbers aimed at enhancing troops’ response to distress calls as well as sensitised residents on the need for peaceful coexistence.