Oyo State Government has continued the demolition it stopped months ago.
After the havoc caused by the August 26 flood disaster last year, the government had vowed that all structures obstructing the waterways would be pulled down but later soft-pedaled with Governor Abiola Ajimobi saying his government would not compound the problems of the flood victims.
Instead of all the no fewer than 200 houses marked for demolishing, only 56 were demolished with some of the affected owners of the buildings alleging that the government was not sincere as political consideration was used.
But, the government said in the second phase of the demolition no fewer than 40 illegal structures built on waterways would be affected.
Oyo State was listed among other states in the country that would likely be affected by flood.
According to the governor, the demolition became expedient to prevent loss of life and property as witnessed last August 26.
The exercise is being supervised by the state Ministry of Physical Planning and Urban Development.
Gov. Ajimobi, who was represented by the state Commissioner for Physical Planning and Urban Development, Miss Kafayat Adeojo, said the exercise was being carried in the overall best interest of the people of the state.