A Norwegian court has found Anders Behring Breivik sane in the murder of 77 people in a gun and bomb massacre last year, sending him to jail for at least 21 years and dismissing the prosecution's request for an insane verdict.
Breivik, who has admitted detonating a fertilizer bomb outside government headquarters, killing eight, before shooting
69 at the ruling party's summer youth camp, faces the possibility of indefinite extensions to his sentence that was handed down on Friday.
Many survivors and families of the victims wanted a sane verdict, saying the opposite would diminish his responsibility for the attacks.
Breivik said he targeted the ruling centre-left Labour Party for its support of Muslim immigration. He dismissed being called a child murderer, arguing that his victims, some as young as 14, were brainwashed activists whose support for multiculturalism threatened to adulterate pure Norwegian blood.
The killings shook this nation of five million people which had prided itself as a safe haven from much of the world's troubles, raising questions about the prevalence of far right views as immigration rises.
The trial and a commission of investigation into the country's worst violence since World War II have kept Breivik
on the front pages for the past 13 months and survivors said the verdict would finally bring some closure. "It has been a tough year ... but I don't want to be Utoeya-Nicoline for the rest of my life," said Nicoline Bjerge
Whatever the five judges decide, Breivik will be locked up in solitary confinement inside the maximum security Ila prison on the outskirts of Oslo. Although the maximum sentence is 21 years, prisoners can be held indefinitely if deemed dangerous and few believe anyone would ever sign Breivik's release papers.