The bodies of five children were found inside a freezer at their grandmother's home in Kakamas, Northern Cape, South Africa.
The cousins, aged between three and seven, were reportedly playing in abandoned deep freezer and become trapped after it locked itself.
As the doors were secured shut by latches that could only be opened by the handle on the outside, the kids were not able to set themselves free and suffocated. Their bodies were found by their distraught grandmother, who immediately called the police and ambulance but it was too late.
The authorities have launched an investigation into the tragedy but they "don't suspect any foul play". Refrigerator death refers to death by suffocation in a refrigerator or similar device such as a freezer.
The problem with children suffocating in the appliances was well-known. A number of alternative methods of keeping freezer's doors shut had been suggested. The magnetic mechanism is among them, it is used today instead of a latch.