- The escalating cases of fraud in the banking sector has informed the government’s decision to carry out an asset declaration exercise in banks
- However, bank workers have expressed concern about the exercise as some of the questions raised in the forms are almost impossible to answer
- Due to the complexity of the declaration forms, most of the workers refuse to fill details aside from their personal information
There is disquiet in the banking sector following a federal government directive that a staff assets verification and declaration exercise for every bank worker in the country be carried out.
According to the Tribune, the escalating cases of fraud in the banking sector informed the government’s decision to carry out the exercise.
However, bank workers have expressed concern about the exercise as some of the questions raised in the forms are almost impossible to answer.
Findings by the Tribune revealed that the forms issued to the bank workers to fill were markedly different from the standard assets declaration form issued by the Code of Conduct Bureau (CCB).
It was further gathered that the workers were asked to state names of their siblings, parents as well as all persons that they have business relationship with including their bank details as well as how much they have in their accounts.
But due to the complexity of the forms, most of the workers refused to fill details aside from their personal information, thereby defaulting on the submission date which was up to last week Friday.
When contacted, spokesperson of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) Isaac Okorafor said the directive for banks to verify assets of their staff did not come from the apex bank.
But a source with a first generation bank, told the Tribune that the directive that bank workers should declare their assets was from the apex bank.
According to the source, the move came in view of increasing incidence of fraud among bankers.
“If you declare your assets this year and it is stated that you have two cars, you cannot then acquire 10 cars within the next two years and claim that you got them through a fantastic salary that you are earning," he said.
Meanwhile, the former national security adviser (NSA) Sambo Dasuki, and others implicated in the $15 billion arms deals have had their bank accounts frozen by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
According to The Nation, some of those who’s accounts have been blocked by the anti-graft agency include ex-Chief of Defence Staff, Air Chief Marshal Alex Badeh; ex-Chiefs of Air Staff, Air Marshals Adesola Amosu and Mohammed Dikko Umar; ex-Minister of Petroleum Resources, Mrs. Diezani Alison-Madueke; ex-Minister of State for Defence, Musiliu Obanikoro; ex-Governor Attahiru Bafarawa; ex-Minister of Finance, Bashir Yuguda; Governor Ayodele Fayose; ex-Deputy Governor Iyiola Omisore; top former military chiefs; more than 30 companies and others.
The suspects, who are alleged to have between three and five accounts in different banks which they used to perpetrate the fraud, have been begging the anti-graft agency for reprieve.