- Ogun government reunites 64 Libya returnees with families
- European authorities should not send migrants back to Libya - Chief of Human Rights Watch
- Boko Haram, Libya returnees could be behind latest 'herdsmen' attacks on farmers - Ex-information minister
- We have identified 14 camps housing Nigerians in Libya - NAPTIP
The National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP) has arrested two persons among those repatriated to Nigeria from Libya. The two persons were arrested on the suspicion of being involved in trafficking.
It was a tragic start to New Year for migrants from Nigeria and other countries as hundreds of them crossing to Italy and Spain were feared dead in the Mediterranean Sea, the International Organisation for Migration (IOM) has said
Nigerian returnees from Libya rejected the sum of N1,000 which was given to them by the Edo state govt to be used as transportation fare, as they stated that the money was too small and couldn't take them to their destination.
Rundunar sojojin ruwa na kasar Libya, ta ce yan guduna hijira guda 100 suka bace yayin da jirgin ruwan da ya dauko su ya kife a tafkin Libya Wani jami’an tsaron tafkin Libya sun ceci mutane 17 a lokacin da jirgin ruwan ya nutse a
It was gathered that mainly lawlessness in the North African country has helped migratio n into the Libyan coast become the main springboard for often deadly migrant journeys bound to Europe across the Mediterranean Sea.
The father, of one of the 846 Edo indigenes repatriated from Libya, Kehinde Enabulele, on Tuesday, January 9, said he visited an Ifa priest, native doctors and pastors to ensure that his daughter Eki cannot enter Europe.
President Muhammadu Buhari has condemned the regime of the late Muammar Gaddafi, former president of Libya as one that produced violent people whose mission is to foment trouble and kill indiscriminately across Africa.
Ona Ekhomu, a notable security expert in Nigeria, has alerted the federal government on the possibility of having some ISIS fighters among the citizens of the country who have so far been repatriated from Libya.
About 64 migrants have been feared dead, while 86 people were rescued on Monday, January 8, after a traffickers’ overcrowded rubber dinghy (small boat) from Libya started sinking in the Mediterranean Sea, officials said.
The minister of Foreign Affairs, Mr Geoffrey Onyeama, has reassured federal government’s commitment to return all stranded Nigerians from Libya. Onyeama gave the assurance when he received 491 Nigerian returnees from Libya.
Another batch of Libya returnees was evacuated to Nigeria via the Port Harcourt International Airport, Omagwa today, January 7. The first batch of 540 stranded Nigerians is returning to the country after screening and confirmation
The International Organisation for Migration (IOM) would on Monday, January 8, repatriate 180 Nigerians stranded in Libya back to their home country, under its continuing Voluntary Humanitarian Return (VHR) programme.
A team from the federal government led by the foreign affairs minister, Geoffrey Onyeama, on Wednesday, January 3, departed Abuja for Tripoli, the capital of Libya, to see to the evacuation of Nigerians trapped in that country.
The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) has on behalf of the Federal government signed a contract agreement with a local airline to evacuate 3,184 of the 5,037 Nigerians expected to return from Libya in the new year 2018.
About 134 Nigerians have been evacuated from Libya by the International Organisation for Migration (IOM) and the European Union (EU). The returnees included 10 adult females, 123 adult males, one infant and a medical case.
A returnee from Libya has disclosed that young Nigerians are being lured to Libya by the use of ‘juju’, and has asked citizens not to judge them because they are being controlled by spiritual machinations of the traffickers.
NEMA has said a total of 6,672 Nigerians returned from Libya from January 6 to December 28. The director general of NEMA, Mustapha Maihajja, made this known when receiving a fresh batch of 257 Nigerians who arrived from Libya.
Another set of 257 Nigerian migrants have been returned from Libya and arrived Lagos on Thursday, December 28, just less than 24 hours after a batch of 157 citizens returned to the county on Wednesday, December 27.
A 28-year-old Nigerian graduate and Libya returnee has come out to briefly narrate some of the horrible experiences before he was brought back to Nigeria. John said he drank someone's urine to survive in the desert.
In an effort to ease severe overcrowding in its detention centres, Libya on Wednesday, December 27, put 142 illegal migrants on a flight back to Guinea with the help of the U.N. migration agency, officials said.
The federal government it is doing everything possible to bring back all Nigerians that are willing to return from Libya as a new set of 157 Nigerians arrived from the North African country on Wednesday night, December 27.
President Buhari has set up a 17-man fact-finding mission to bring back Nigerians trapped in Libya.The team may also open talks with Libyan authorities.